Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao provided the update to lawmakers during a Senate hearing on Thursday, a week after the weapons sale took center stage in talks between US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing.
“Right now, we’re doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury – which we have plenty,” Cao told the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, Al Jazeera reported.
“But we’re just making sure we have everything, but then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary.”
Cao said any decision to move forward with the sale – which would be the largest ever weapons transfer to Taiwan – would be made by Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
The US Congress approved the weapons package for Taiwan in January, but the sale requires Trump’s sign-off to move forward.
If approved, the sale would surpass a record-breaking $11bn arms package for Taiwan approved by Trump in December.
Taiwanese Premier Cho Jung-tai told reporters on Friday that Taiwan would continue to pursue arms purchases, according to Taiwanese news outlet FTV News.
Trump, who has confirmed that he discussed the arms sale with Xi, said last week in an interview with Fox News that he “may” or “may not” approve the package.
Trump has also suggested that the package could be used as a “negotiating chip” – despite a decades-old precedent against consulting with Beijing on arms sales.