Yemen Warns Saudi Arabia of More Painful Escalation

The first equation, described as “blockade for blockade,” involves expanding maritime restrictions from the southern to northern Red Sea and into the Gulf of Aden and Arabian Sea.

The second, “escalation for escalation,” involves attacks on Saudi forces and allied fighters across Yemen, while the third is based on direct retaliation against violations of Yemeni airspace by striking strategic targets deep inside Saudi Arabia.

Yemeni Armed Forces spokesman Brigadier General Yahya Saree said the forces had targeted eight Saudi oil tankers since July 20, including five in the Red Sea and three in the Gulf of Aden and Arabian Sea. He also noted that 48 Saudi tankers had been prevented from crossing the waters and forced to return to their ports of origin.

Saree further said Yemeni forces had carried out nine retaliatory missile and drone attacks against targets in Saudi Arabia, including oil facilities linked to Saudi Aramco and sites in Yanbu, Najran, Jizan and Abha.

He also warned that more “painful” airstrikes against Saudi targets would be carried out in the coming period in response to Saudi attacks on Sana’a International Airport and Hudaydah Port.

Yemeni sources said Sana’a’s demands for an end to the operations include a complete halt to Saudi military action against Yemen, the withdrawal of foreign forces, an end to Saudi funding and arming of allied militias, and the return of Yemen’s resources to the Yemeni people. They also reiterated demands linked to a UN-mediated roadmap, including lifting the air and sea blockade, paying public-sector salaries and resolving the prisoner issue.

According to military sources cited by Lebanon’s al-Akhbar newspaper, Sana’a is preparing for a new phase that could include expanding operations toward Saudi Arabia’s southern border and potentially launching a large-scale ground operation along the frontier.

The sources also said Yemeni naval forces have expanded surveillance of Saudi vessels from the Red Sea into the Arabian Sea, warning that further surprises could be in store if Riyadh does not meet Yemen’s demands.