Europe's Unwillingness to Lead NATO Pushed US to Withdraw Troops from Germany: Pentagon
- Other Media news
- May, 02, 2026 - 11:02
He called German Chancellor Friedrich Merz's criticism of the US military aggression against Iran "inappropriate and unhelpful."
According to him, the reduction of the American contingent is consistent with the administration's intention to shift attention from Europe to the Western hemisphere and the Indo-Pacific region, TASS reported.
"We’ve urged them to take a practical, businesslike approach to building a Europe-led NATO," the official said. "They didn’t take that advice, and this is the result."
Friday’s announcement will affect an army brigade combat team already deployed inside the country, a long-range fires battalion set to arrive later this year and potentially more troops, the senior Defense Department official said.
Earlier, US Assistant Secretary of War for Public Affairs Sean Parnell said that Pentagon Chief Pete Hegseth ordered the withdrawal of 5,000 American troops from Germany within the next 6-12 months.
US President Donald Trump said earlier that Washington is considering reducing its military contingent stationed in Germany and could reduce the number of its troops also in Italy and Spain.
He did not specify the reason, but the statement came in the wake of Merz’ criticism of Washington's military campaign against Iran - he pointing out the lack of a clear strategy.